ShipItCon is fully committed to providing a harassment-free, welcoming, and inclusive experience for everyone involved; the speakers; the organisers; event staff; and for every individual attendee. Put simply: any form of harassment will not be tolerated and will be acted upon swiftly and fairly.
ShipItCon is an event for people passionate about technology. Sometimes this fervour, especially when conflicting ideas come in contact with each other, can manifest as behaviour that is unacceptable. The definition of acceptability is fluid; what offends one person may not offend another. We want you to bring your zeal and gusto to ShipItCon but we request that you are always mindful and considerate to everyone you meet throughout the conference, its associated events, and in any correspondences related to ShipItCon.
The following is presented as a guide of what we require everyone involved with the event to agree to.
Attending ShipItCon means the following is something you not only accept but fully support.
- Be kind.
- Be mindful.
- Be professional.
- Be responsible.
- Be patient.
- Be welcoming.
- Be magnanimous.
- Be respectful of other viewpoints and ideas.
- Be helpful and look out for each other.
In case there is any confusion about what the opposite of the above looks like, the following unwelcome behaviours are in direct breach of ShipItCon’s Code of Conduct:
- Offensive, inappropriate, or unwanted comments related to gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size or type, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, or age, or other protected categories under applicable law.
- Visual harassment e.g. sexual imagery or use of sexual language at ShipItCon community events
- Disrespectful towards differences of opinion
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, intrusive and/or covert photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate or unwanted physical contact
- Intimidation or bullying (online or in-person)
- Unwelcome sexual attention
ShipItCon recognises and celebrates the amazing and eclectic diversity of the tech community. By encouraging voices from different backgrounds we all benefit from different perspectives. We expect everyone else to champion this ethos.
We also want ShipItCon to be inclusive for people of all experience levels. People are coming to learn, to meet, and to contribute. Please check any egos at the door.
All of the above covers interactions in person, online, and via written or verbal communication with any and all parties associated with ShipItCon, including its attendees.
The organisers recognise the common tactic of those who harass is to question the legitimacy of what constitutes harassment. This is easily combated, however, through the committee’s position as hosts to decide quickly, fairly, and unequivocally what is deemed inappropriate.
In closing, we ask all attendees of ShipItCon to be attentive and look out for each other. If you are subject to or witness any violation of the ShipItCon’s Code of Conduct we ask that you inform the conference’s organisers by contacting [email protected] When in doubt, shout.