ShipItCon is fully committed to providing a harassment-free, welcoming, and inclusive experience for everyone involved; the speakers; the organisers; event staff; and for every individual attendee. Put simply: any form of harassment will not be tolerated and will be acted upon swiftly and fairly.
Be mindful that we expect a diverse group of people to attend ShipItCon and you will meet people from a wide range of religions, ethnicities, genders, gender identities, nationalities, sexual orientations, body sizes, physical appearance, mental abilities and physical abilities. Use this as an opportunity to respectfully interact with a diverse group of individuals in a professional and safe environment.
We are all here to learn and grow. ShipItCon, being a community event and safe environment, is not the appropriate venue to question individuals on their underrepresented status. Anyone found to be behaving in any way that makes participants uncomfortable or impedes the intended goals of this event will be in violation of this Code of Conduct and will be ejected from ShipItCon.
The following is presented as a guide of what we require everyone involved with the event to agree to. Attending ShipItCon means the following is something you not only accept but fully support.
- Be kind.
- Be mindful.
- Be professional.
- Be responsible.
- Be patient.
- Be welcoming.
- Be magnanimous.
- Be respectful of other viewpoints and ideas.
- Be helpful and look out for each other.
In case there is any confusion about what the opposite of the above looks like, the following unwelcome behaviours are in direct breach of ShipItCon’s Code of Conduct:
- Offensive, inappropriate, or unwanted comments related to gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size or type, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, or age, or other protected categories under applicable law.
- Visual harassment e.g. sexual imagery or use of sexual language at ShipItCon community events
- Disrespectful towards differences of opinion
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, intrusive and/or covert photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate or unwanted physical contact
- Intimidation or bullying (online or in-person)
- Unwelcome sexual attention
All of the above covers interactions in person, online, and via written or verbal communication with any and all parties associated with ShipItCon, including its attendees. If you or someone else are subjected to inappropriate behaviour or have any other concerns please follow the Reporting steps below.
The organisers recognise the common tactic of those who harass is to question the legitimacy of what constitutes harassment. This is easily combated, however, through the committee’s position as hosts to decide quickly, fairly, and unequivocally what is deemed inappropriate.
In closing, we ask all attendees of ShipItCon to be attentive and look out for each other. If you are subject to or witness any violation of the ShipItCon’s Code of Conduct we ask that you inform the conference’s organisers by contacting [email protected]. When in doubt, shout.
The ShipItCon Team and volunteers will be on hand to help attendees feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your participation.
If you need to report an incident please contact a member of the ShipItCon team. If you are uncomfortable approaching a team member in person please inform the team by contacting [email protected].